Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Game time appies for pennies!!

Last night we headed off to the resident Michigan State fans' home to root for their team in the big game.. (sorry guys, but believe me, us Buckeye fans have SO been there)
The Hostess with the Mostest, Kristen made this amazing pulled pork in mole that we ate in tacos with all the fixings (MUST get that recipe -the pork had fantastic flavor) - so I wanted to contribute something that complimented that menu for an appetizer.
Enter my old friend the refrigerator biscuit "empanada"!! (also here with an Italian twist)
I never thought of it before, but my quick trick of folding whatever matches the menu into a biscuit and serving as an appie is shockingly inexpensive..

The store brand of these biscuits is $0.40 for a tube of 10 at my grocery store.. that is 80 cents for 20 little empandadas!! I filled them last night with a mix of spicy refried beans - all 20 took less than half a can of beans, and I sprinkled in a bit of shredded cheese and a dot of Tabasco sauce...
I flatten each biscuit, place a bit of filling, wet my fingers and pinch the edges together.. for extra shine I used an egg wash (egg beaten with a touch of water in this case, tho I use milk when baking sweet things) on them before I baked according to the biscuit package directions.

Seriously, I made 20 of those things for less than 3 bucks!! They were good on their own, but I did whip up some of my super-klassy yogurt sauce for dipping, since I had the stuff to do it.

People loved them.. YAY for refrigerator biscuits!!

Oooo, I bet they would be great with fruit filling, or jam, and a little sugar sprinked on top before baking...

No comments: