Friday, January 23, 2009

Lighter Side: Shredded Beef Tacos

I started out Thursday morning by firing up the old slow cooker... in went two adobo chilies, a spoonful of minced garlic, some red wine vinagar, a palm full of oregano, and some black pepper.. (sorry kids, I don't measure)


I mixed all of that together, and then added beef stock, enough to cover a piece of London Broil most of the way.. here it is all nestled in its little hot tub:
Off to work I went, and 9 hours (at low temp) later, the drained and fork-shredded beef looked like this..
It was slightly spicy (not overbearing) and sooooo tender... I heated up some corn tortillas on the oven rack, mixed up some guac (for me) and my famous (I should say "shameless") spicy taco sauce that everyone loves.. (1 packet or tablespoon of Taco Bell Hot sauce per 1 ounce of plain yogurt and blend well... seriously.. it is freaking good), and set out some lime wedges... for The Hub I added sour cream and cheese to the table... you can see my pre-portioned plate in the front of this pic. That giant pile of meat is only 3 oz!! Talk about a filling meal - I couldn't even eat my second tortilla, I ate the meat with my yummy (and already figured on SparkPeople) toppings...
The Hub pronouced that he would like to see this again soon... I agree whole-heartedly!!!
(and I love walking off the elevator after a long day and knowing that the yummy dinner smell in the hall is coming from MY house... thank you, slow cooker!!)

No comments: