Monday, January 12, 2009

Lighter Side - Quick Roasted Chicken and Veggies

Yesterday morning consisted of my usual Sunday morning Food Network view-a-thon - but in anticpation of Barefoot Contessa's new season, they were showing a bunch of her episodes... and the one that got my mouth watering was, of all things, the all chicken episode... My favorite thing in the world used to be roasting a good old-fashioned herb seasoned chicken in the oven with some veggies... haven't done it in years..

The Hub is not a fan of chicken on the bone (don't get me started, he won't listen to arguements from me about how much more flavorful or juicy meat on the bone is...it is a battle I can't win) and I didn't feel like breaking down a whole chicken yesterday, so I improvised and used some chicken breast tenders, maranading them in a mix of lemon juice, olive oil, basil, oregano, and s&p in the fridge for 3 hours...

Then they got wrapped in foil and went in the oven on the wrack above a big pan of brussel sprouts, carrots, broccoli florrets, green peppers, yellow squash and onions tossed in a drizzle of olive oil and plenty of s&p... it all cooked at 350 (I flipped the chicken packet and gave the veggies a shimmy mid-way through) for 30 minutes, and rested out of the oven for 5 minutes before I dipped up heaping plates of the veggies (everything for me, and just the veggies The Hub likes for him) and then scooped a few tenders on top of each pile... The maranaded chicken was really flavorful, and the roasted veggies still had a bit of crunch... perfect...
Even The Hub said (some what dismayed at liking something so healthy) "hey, that was actually REALLY good)..

Nothing like getting back to basics...

No comments: