Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lighter Side - Grill Night!

The Hub loves him some meat and potatoes... hell I do too... a lot...
So last night was a new twist on one of his faves, Flat Iron Steak and Fries, which is actually a version of a dish from one of our favorite restaurants... It is good, but dripping in compound butter and placed on a mound of fries, it isn't exactly waist-line friendly...

So last night I made him a marinaded flank steak (cut to about 6oz - not tiny but not the giant portion you would get at Steuben's either..) in this marinade for about 2 hours (could go longer) after slashing some hatch marks across each side of the meat to get the marinade down into the beef a bit more quickly...
Then I broiled it (along with 4 oz of Salmon seasoned with Old Bay for me - seen in picture above) for about 5 minutes on each side, and served it on top of a roasted mixture of potatoes and broccoli (heavier on the potatoes for him, heavier on the broccoli for me) seasoned with red pepper flakes and s&p for a little kick that he might have missed not having the chimichurri butter...

Big thumbs up from The Hub - I begged a tiny bite of the meat from him just to check my handy work, and it was a flavorful and tender alternative... (and this way when we do go to Steuben's, the real thing will be a special treat!)
My Salmon was delicious (broiled on each side for 4 minutes) - but I could eat a simply prepared Salmon every day of the week, so I guess that isn't exactly breaking culinary news... :)

No comments: