Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Lighter Side - W W Pasta and Vodka Sauce with Chicken Apple Sausage

A lot of the calorie issue with pasta is portion size... when it comes to pasta we tend to pile up huge bowls or mound giant plates full of the stuff... and it is usually enriched white pasta...



But Pasta is easy and cheap - both things that are very, very good for a working wife looking to keep the grocery bill in check...

Whole Wheat pasta is a good compromise... why? Here's an explination I like... The thing that really seals the deal for me is the idea of feeling full longer... you want your dinner to stick with you a while!!

So I made two portions - The Hub's was a cup cooked, mine was a little shy of 3/4 cup cooked, and served it with Newman's Own Vodka sauce (I would like to make my own in the future, but I liked the nutrition and ingredient info that I saw on Newman's Own, so I just resolved to watch my portion sizes...)

Reason number bajillion-two hundred and four why I love Sunflower market? All of their amazing sausages available at the deli counter!! I grabbed one of the Chicken Apple sausages, split the casing and browned it before adding it to a cup of the Vodka sauce - two half cup servings... mixed with the pasta it was quick, filling and guilt free... The sweetness Chicken Apple sausage was really good with the sweet vodka sauce - they didn't compete but complimented, and hours later I wasn't rummaging for a snack!! More importantly, The Hub wasn't either - portion control wins again...

No comments: