Monday, January 5, 2009

Lighter Side - Chicken Enchilada Soup...

I have to pat myself on the back for this one, because it was 100% my idea, and it turned out just the way I wanted it too... I have been trying to come up with ways to give The Hub and I the flavor and satisfaction of foods we love, but in ways that might keep us from ballooning into weeble look-a-likes... Mexican food is something we both love - and so I came up with this:



-brown one med chicken breast in the bottom of a dutch oven

-add 1 can of tomato soup made to directions on the can

-add one can Ranch style beans

-add one small can corn



heat mixture until simmering, then add 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon adobo paste (depending on how spicy you would like it) and remove soup from heat.



Serve bowls with garnish of 1 tablespoon 2% grated cheese and a dollop of yogurt sauce (mix zest of one lime with a 1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt)



I skipped the cheese and just had the yogurt sauce (which cooled down the spicy soup)...

The Hub ended up eating some tortilla chips with his, but that was his call... He liked the soup, I loved the soup - and it really did taste like an enchilada...



TRY THE SOUP!!!





One other mention - last Friday I made bison sliders - I pressed out a thin layer of ground bison and used my round cookie cutter to make perfect little patties... then seasoned each with garlic salt and pepper before cooking on the indoor grill. I put The Hub's on dinner rolls, but ate mine plain with roasted veggies... they were a yummy way to bring happy hour home and would be fun to make for game day or something similar...



aren't they cute?

No comments: