Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lighter Side - Steakhouse at home...

It wasn't in the plan... a craving for a deliciously juicy, super-rare steak accompanied by a perfectly topped baked potato set in somewhere after lunch yesterday, and by the time I left work I had formulated a plan to make it waistline friendly...
Again with the portion control!!

Now I don't know how else to demonstrate what a difference it makes, other than to show you how dinner stacked up for me last night... (BTW, I didn't even finish my steak, so this number is actually a little high)

Here is a list from my Sparkpeople log, calories listed after each food:

Beef, round steak, 4 oz- 150
Baked Potato, with skin, 0.85 medium (2-1/4" to 3-1/4" dia.) - 136
Daisy Light Sour Cream, 2 tbsp -40
Kraft 2% Shredded Cheddar Cheese, 0.25 cup -80
Louis Rich Turkey Bacon, 1 serving -35
Onions, raw, 2 tbsp chopped-8

Now, for those of you counting, that is 449 calories total... and yes I measured everything out, and yes the toppings for the potato were PLENTY... actually I did not finish all of my steak or potato, so this is a bit high - but still a number I am very comfortable with (actually my total calories for the day were 1098 - which is a bit low for me, but I ate plenty, so I am not worried about one day)

And I got to control all of the ingredients... I knew no one was slathering butter (tho that is tasty) on my steak.. a simple balsamic drizzle 1/2 hour before cooking, and some cracked black pepper before going on the hot broiler pan was plenty of flavor... and the steak was a reasonable size... and so was The Hub's (although larger than mine) which is important since he tends to be a "clean plater" and would eat more if it was there...

Anyhoo.. no recipes today, just some food for thought I guess...

No comments: