Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ham and Asparagus Strata

Confession - this was supposed to be our Easter dinner, but I really wanted to do the chicken and dumplings that night, so I switched it up even tho this is a bit more "Easter-y."
To make this simple dish I thinly sliced some sourdough bread and made a single layer in the bottom of a cooking-spray coated 9x9 Pyrex dish.
Next I layered some chopped Asparagus spears onto the bread, followed by some deli-sliced ham (I used the very inexpensive packaged kind from the lunch meat isle).
Then I whipped 4 eggs plus 3 egg whites together with 1/4 cup of milk and a dash of salt and pepper, and poured it down over the top of the layers.
I baked the strata at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes, sprinkling some cheddar cheese over the top the last few minutes of baking so it could get all melty.
I served it with boxed potatoes Au Gratin, because The Hub loves them with ham.

He gave the strata the stink-eye when he sat down at the table and said "it looks like quiche" - but he had two helpings and said (with surprise in his voice) "That was actually really good!"
He was right....

No comments: