Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What's up in the Kitch, Ker?

Ok, ok... bad food blogger...
Dinners have been pretty low-key around The Treehouse of late.

-Saturday night we had spaghetti with meat sauce, jazzed up with a bit of fresh basil from my little plant, and Garlic bread made from a frozen demi-loaf of French bread from the free bread coupon at Target a few weeks back... Mmmm, garlic bread!
(BTW- this is what the bread looked like when I cut into it - see those big uneven holes? Those exact holes are the reason I got a D on my bread in culinary school.. WTF!)


It is getting really nice outside, which makes me want to use my grill a lot! So last night we had steak soft tacos - I maranaded some chuck steak cut into 1/2 inch thick slabs in lime juice, minced garlic, and chili powder for about an hour. Then I sprayed each side with cooking spray and let it cook to medium on a nice hot (but open) grill. I also grilled some onion for me.
I rested the meat wrapped in foil while I heated corn tortillas, lightly sprayed with cooking spray, on the grill until they got some color and were nice and flexible - they got wrapped in foil to keep the heat in and keep them soft.
I unwrapped the meat and chopped it into small pieces, just because I like my steak tacos almost like you would get from a street vendor, or on a plate of tacos al carbon at a local mexican place.
I served it all family style with sour cream, lime wedges, cheese and hot sauce for topping.
YAY for grill season!!

No comments: