Monday, March 30, 2009

Why Can't I Quit You!?

Friday night I just HAD TO give in to a craving for Nachos... had to be done, and they couldn't be "diety"...

I read on a blog somewhere that shopping in the "ethnic foods" (don't shoot the messenger, that is what they call it - I know nacho sauce isn't authentic!) can land you cheaper prices on items you normally buy outside of it.. example, this can of sauce was in the "Hispanic foods" section, next to things that were mostly labeled en Espanol... it cost half as much as the crappy salsa/queso mixes in the jars by the "Mexican food" supplies... I'm not saying it is right or wrong to segragate the queso, I am just saying it was cheap and GOOD (Like exactly like you would get at the ball park good!) King Soopers had wicked sales on their Kroger brand chips last week, so I grabbed a bag of tortilla chips for a buck and we had those with cheese, and some left over steak from steak sammies the other night diced up small, and jalepenoes... I also had some diced onion and canned tomatoes on mine.. Yum... oh neon orange "cheese", how I love you...

Saturday was basket ball game night for us, since I had been offered 15 dollar tix at work... they even included a hot dog and a medium soda (and we splurged and got a beer each too).. Stadium food a-plenty for Keri this weekend!!

Sunday I finished off a less-than-healthy weekend with shamelessly UN-portion-controlled plates of spaghetti with canned tomato sauce jazzed up with ground turkey and fresh basil, and garlic bread made from a demi loaf of frozen bread from Target coupons...


Here is my problem... free bread is indeed, FREE bread... but pasta and potatoes and bread and all of this is going to turn us into roly-poly versions of our former selves quickly...
I have always let weekends be a "break" from anything too diety or strict - but I have to really watch what I am serving during the week...

Any favorite cheap and healthy meal ideas?

No comments: