Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lighter Side - Asian Influenced Beef Salad

We love Newman's Own "Lighten Up" Sesame Ginger dressing!! It has great flavor, and portion control is easy because the amount suggested (2Tb per serving) is actually enough to dress a serving of salad and make it actually TASTE like you added dressing!!
So last night we had simple salads of romaine lettuce and cooked carrots (bought baby carrots on sale, so I par-cooked and froze in portions to use later) tossed in that dressing, along with roasted red and green bell peppers, and beef that I very thinly sliced when it was still partly frozen (makes it easy to get really thin pretty slices) and tossed in 1 heaping teaspoon of hoisin sauce, 1/2 teaspoon curry paste, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, and teaspoon of red wine vinegar. I cooked the beef in a saute pan just long enough to cook thru, which was around 4 minutes total, since I sliced it so thin (good for really quick dinners!).

The Hub really liked it... I think I would add less hoisin to the marinade/coating for the beef next time, and maybe kick up the spice a bit more - I thought the beef was too sweet, and since the salad dressing is also sweet, it would have been nice to have a little variety. But it was VERY quick and healthy (which I need to remember to concentrate on when I meal plan next week!)

No comments: