Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lighter Side - Nachoes



Anyone who knows me, or has been reading this blog a while, knows that I have an obsessive, shameless love of nachoes... nacho cheese is my favorite substance on the planet. That being said, nachoes and liquid cheese aren't exactly healthy or low-cal.
So last night I tried making a lighter version. I cut corn tortillas into wedges and sprayed lightly with cooking spray before baking until crispy...(see, this is what it looks like.)


I topped it with some ground beef seasoned with chili powder and S&P, 2% cheddar shreads, diced jalepenoes, roasted red peppers, and lettuce, and drizzled it with my usual secret sauce of yogurt and hot sauce mixed together...

The result? Meh... it was fine.. The Hub liked them, and they were good, but let's face it - they weren't the ooey, gooey, yummy terrible-for-you nachoes that we all know and love... I liked the chicken and spinach tostadas I made a while back much better - they seemed to have more of a gooey quality or something... oh well, my quest for a low-cal great tasting nacho continues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom used to make the same thing only she just used regular corn chips. She would set all the ingredients in separate bowls on the table and we could "make" our own. We called them haystacks and they bring back such great memories! Yum!