Monday, August 17, 2009

Take a picture, I baked!!


Ok, so I took the pictures - but I did bake, which I really never do.. (ok, it isn't exactly a tiered cake or anything, but still.)

Normally I am not much of a baker, since it requires precise measuring and I am more of a "pinch of this, dollop of that" kind of cook. But my Daddy came down to help us in the prep for the demo of our kitchen counters on Sunday, and I wanted to do something he would really enjoy. (BTW, cooking = NO in my kitch this week, it seems.. our hardwired stove has been pulled out and disconnected, as has our sink and faucet, but I did do some prep, so we shall see,)

He LOVES Cobbler, so I decided that a crumble topping BARELY qualifies as baking anyway (and I will try almost anything if it was for my father anyway.)
Besides, I needed a sweet something for my Aunt Keri's Kitchen delivery, and I just recently bought some ramekins I was dying to use for something too!

I cut up a peach and a plum that I had left over from sangria making, and added some canned pineapple and some canned pears that I had mixed together to take for lunch last week. I stirred in two teaspoons of sugar and divided the fruit between 1 square casserole dish and two oversized ramekins. Then I doubled this recipe for crumble topping:

3/4 Cup Brown Sugar

1/2 Cup Flour

1 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon

1/4 Cup Butter (cold and diced into small cubes)

I mixed the double batch of topping using my hands, breaking the butter into tiny little balls as it mixed with the dry ingredients - you want this topping to be rough and dry, with little bits of butter encased in the dry ingredients.

Then I spread a generous amount of the topping on each of the containers, and baked them all in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, turning each half way through the cooking time,

I cooled the two ramekins thoroughly before covering them, and reheated the large container in the afternoon (in the microwave for a minute, uncovered, since my stove was disconnected) before portioning a nice slab into bowls and topping with a scoop of ice cream (which I also sent with the Aunt Keri's Kitchen offering this week - gotta have ice cream with a crumble!!)
The family style dish is pictured at the top, here is one of the single-serve ramekins:
It was good, good, good - and my Daddy seemed very happy with it, so I call it a success!

Look at me, all "Bakey Bakerson" suddenly.. ;)

No comments: