Monday, August 3, 2009

Empanada Casserole (ETA: FAIL!)

:::I will never delete an entry if I find it was a failure, but I will amend to keep others from repeating the horror... this cassarole was an EPIC FAIL - it was blecky! -Do not make!:::

Putting the "Aunt" in "Aunt Keri's Kitchen" - Harper Jane made her grand and much anticipated entrance into the world last Wednesday, and her Aunt Keri, much like everyone who has laid eyes on her, was a goner for the girl instantly.. Here she is hanging out in her little seat yesterday when I dropped off the weekly dinner creation:

Speaking of said creation, between a very exciting week of shuttling between the hospital to spend time with Harper's beautiful mommy and proud papa, and dealing with the VERY full Treehouse (IL's were in town due to a death in the family,) I decided it would be the perfect time to pay a visit to the newest location of Tony's Market and take advantage of some of their fun ready-prepped ingredients.
As I suspected, I was ALMOST as enamored with Tony's as I am with Harper.. ALMOST. (BTW, they have happy hour at their little cafe with 2 dollar glasses of house wine!! Puttering around a great market and then relaxing with a glass of wine before heading home? That is my kind of Happy Hour!)
I grabbed some of their amazing pre-made guac (the power of the free sample is strong) along with some chopped squash and onions, and a few mushrooms that all looked so yummy. I also picked up some tortillas (& a bag of fancy chocolate chip cookies for their something sweet)


AND, since everyone knows Keri can't resist the cheese case, I grabbed some Haystack green chili goat cheese, pausing to make sure it was Pasteurized, since I don't really know rules for breastfeeding moms and wasn't taking any chances.


At home I put a layer of the tortillas into a to-go baking dish, and layered in crumbles of the goat cheese, along with some of the squash, onion, and mushrooms. I made a simple sauce for the casserole using a can of tomato paste, some water, minced garlic, and a SLIVER of adobo pepper (a little goes a long way, and I don't want kiddo's next few meals to end up en fuego!). I heated all of that together, and spread 1/3 of the sauce into the first layer, then stacked more tortillas and repeated the process, ending with a layer of tortillas on top, covered in sauce and sprinkled with some cheddar cheese.
It reminded me of the squash empanada recipe we used to make as a special at the old restaurant, so that is what I called it.


Similar heating directions to the dishes I have been sending their way lately, heat the oven to 325 degrees, remove plastic lid and cover with foil, place on oven on cookie sheet and heat for 30 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly and the veggies are the desired tenderness. Most of the things I have been sending have been pretty tough to over-cook, but wouldn't be bad if just heated through either.
I included the rest of the squash mixture, a tomato and a bag of salad to serve along side, and the afore-mentioned guac for spooning on top of the casserole. it smelled pretty darn good, I really hope it tastes as yummy!
I am eyeing Paula Deen's Low Country smothered pork chops for next week's delivery - they look CRAZY good!!



No comments: