Monday, May 4, 2009

knocking off Steuben's (again)


Sunday was The Hub's birthday... I wanted to do something really special, so I made my "famous" (ok, just with my husband) knockoff version of Steuben's Skirt Steak. (I made it once before, here.. I made mine with flat-iron steak again, because I really do love that cut of beef, and because King Soopers had some really great looking ones when I went to pick my steaks.. in addition to a skirt steak, a flank would also work well for this (think any cut you would use for fajitas).
This time I maranaded it in lime juice, garlic powder, some adobo sauce, and a touch of red wine vinagar for about an hour before I cooked it. I cooked it on the indoor grill for 13 minutes and rested it for 5 in tightly wrapped tin foil before setting it on top of a pile of crispy shoestring fries and adding a generous pat of my chimmichuri compound butter, (this time with garlic, cumin, red pepper, and dried cilantro) to the top of the steak.. (OK, for the birthday boy I cheated and put a pat UNDER the meat as well, because his favorite thing at Steuben's is how the butter melts down on to the fries under his steak).
I served it all with a glass of white wine in a tumbler for me, and a couple ponies of the "Champagne of Beers" for him - just to up the Steuben's vibe a bit. He loved it and got one of his favorite restaurant meals on a shoestring (french fry, that is) budget!

No comments: