Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Spicy Orange Chicken with Quinoa Pilaf




It is no secret that we LOVE Cooking Light's Spicy Honey-brushed Chicken recipe around The Treehouse - although I always make it with b/s chicken breasts or breast tenders instead of thighs - it comes out perfect every time.

However, I would hate for The Hub to get bored of it, since I plan to be making that for years to come. So last night I replaced the cider vinegar with the juice of half an orange, and used chunks of chicken breast that I left marinading during the day yesterday in a mixture of the juice of 1/2 orange and 1 teaspoon of curry paste.

It had a nice Orangy undertone to it - The Hub really liked it, although I kind of missed the tangy aftertaste that the vinegar imparts to the recipe.

I served it with Quinoa prepared according to package directions using chicken broth as the liquid, to which I added some chopped broccoli, carrots, and asparagus during the last 6 minutes of cooking time (so they could get tender, but not mushy). I thoroughly rinsed the Quinoa before cooking, and it really does take any trace of funky flavor away from the finished product.

The Hub ate ALL of his without any sideways shifty glances or anything!

No comments: