Wednesday, October 14, 2009

And now she's baking....

Blessedly at home today, instead of the office, I decided to try one more recipe from my new (used) copy of Betty Crocker's New Low Fat Low Cholesterol Cookbook (which hasn't really been "New" since 1996 - but which the fabulous Megan from Nuts For Nutrition recommended, so how can it not be totally awesome?)
Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup margarine or spread, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg white or 2 tablespoons cholesterol free egg product
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Mix sugars, margarine, vanilla, and egg white in large bowl.
Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt.
Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Cool slightly and remove to wire rack.


What I did differently, and a few observations:

I didn't want to make a special trip to the store for tiny chips, so I used the regular ones I had - and I had about 3/4 cup left, so they all went in. The dough was kind of weird when mixed. Sort of dry and separate from the chips (granted, maybe smaller chips would fix this.)
Observe:

I used "egg product".
I used just under 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda - I just don't fill the measuring spoon quite full to compensate for our mile high air up here.
I made them bigger than called for- mostly because it was sort of a chore to form the dry dough and chips into cookies, and so they ended up larger than a rounded teaspoon.
I cooked each batch for 8 minutes and that seemed just about perfect.
I had my doubts, but these cookies actually bake up quite pretty. Lookie here:

Oh, and my Mother-in-law sent me this pumpkin spatula for Halloween - just FYI it is the perfect cookie-moving shape and will henceforth be used year round. Don't judge me.

No comments: