Monday, November 17, 2008

Sunday Dinner, Stacked pork Enchiladas

Sunday dinner is kind of tradition for us and another couple in the neighborhood... we haven't done it in a while, but in the past we would trade off going over to each other's houses for dinner on Sunday evenings - nothing formal about who made what or when, sometimes we'd skip a week or two - but if it worked out we would get together Sunday evening for a meal and kind of cap off the weekend in a nice way...
Last night they came over and I made stacked pork enchiladas and spanish rice...

I cooked pork stew meat in the slow cooker on low for 9 hours in a mixture of cumin, garlic, and chicken stock, then drained it out and shredded it:


I mixed monterey jack and sharp cheddar cheese into the shredded meat:

Starting with a layer of canola spray and then corn tortillas, I layered the filling with the Enchilada Sauce I made and froze last week (I did thin it out with some more chicken stock, and then thicken to the consistancy I wanted with corn starch slurry so it wouldn't be QUITE so spicy this time around.. ) I covered the top layer of Corn tortillas with the end of the sauce and more of the mixed cheeses and baked the casserole for 45 minutes at 350.
I served it with simple store brand spanish rice, my uber-tomato-y guacamole, sour cream, and chips and salsa... It was yummy - however my girlfriend and I agreed that with all the cheese and tortillas to balence it out, the hotter version of the sauce that The Hub and I ate on our pork chops last week probably wouldn't have seemed quite so hot... live and learn...
Sunday dinner with good friends really is a great way to squeeze out the last bit of weekend fun while relaxing and gearing up for the week ahead... I hope we do it again soon. :)

No comments: