Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cubano review..

Yum...
I ended up using our usual lower calorie bread to make the sammies last night (couldn't justify using crusty rolls, as is traditional... we are really trying not to eat things like that, except in special circumstances)

I spread a thin layer of mustard on both slices of bread, and then layered swiss cheese, pickle slices, a generous pile of the slowcooked pork, and some thinly sliced ham between the bread...

Then I popped the sandwiches on everyone's favorite college kitchen throwback, the George Forman grill, and smushed them down nice and hard to cook for 8 minutes... (Seriously, the George Forman is the best panini maker... I keep it just for that!)

Served along side some mixed sweet potato and good old russet french fries, I believe that the word Cubano = perfection.
The seasoning on the pork was great... I could kick the heat up more with some ground cayenne in the slowcooker because we are fans of hot food - but it was really flavorful and soooo tender...

Next time (and there will be MANY for this sammie, I am sure) I make this, I think I might even go a bit heavier on the pickles (having put a very thin layer) and it would be fun to cook on the grill using my cast iron skillet as a weight to smash the sandwiches down..

It will be on a summer dinner party menu at our house this year, no doubt... (and for that we will totally splurge on the traditional calorie-laden crusty bread) Super-fun and yummy with Mojitos, plantain chips, and tropical fruit... I can see it now.. I will just put out big heaping trays of sammies and all the other things for people to grab as they sip... Light up some cigars, and it is the perfect Cuban theme night on the patio...

Ahhh, but I am getting ahead of myself... summer is still just a glimmer of sunny hope to come, and there are lots of fun things to cook before then...

(See how twisted I am - I can imagine an entire party just because of a sandwich... )

No comments: