Thursday, December 10, 2009

Prosciutto-wrapped Chicken Breasts with Sauteed Chard

The recipe for this chicken came from Real Simple Magazine. I doctored it a little bit, but I am sure it would be fabulous if the recipe was followed exactly as well.

So I laid the prosciutto out on the cutting board and sprinkled with dried Oregano, as the recipe said (ok, so I didn't really measure - you know me):
And I wrapped it around a b/s chicken breast:
I heated the oil in the pan, but went ahead had just used pre-minced garlic, being careful not to let it burn in the oil:
Everybody in to the pool:
and flipped as soon as bottom got some color:
Again, I differ from the recipe in all the usual places - I just browned each side of the chicken and then put it on a sprayed broiler pan and finished at 400 degrees (about 15 minutes). I almost always finish things off in the oven:Meanwhile, back at the pan, something familiar was happening with Olivio added to the pan drippings:and and equal amount of flour (if you don't know where I am going with this by now, I don't know what to say - I am getting very predictable lately):
EXCEPT, check this out - I am adding 1/3 cup Vermouth to that Roux and stirring like heck to blend!

And THEN I added 3/4 cup milk and made with the stirring again, over high heat, until it thickened:

and finally, off the heat I added in 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese (my favorite!) and stirred it until it melted in:Then I packed all of that up along with a bag of Chard (stems removed, torn into pieces) and some roasted baby Yukon Gold Potatoes, and away I went for a field trip version of the No Boys Allowed Supper Club (NBASC) - seen here with Harper (hanging on the table), her mommy Terresa, and the lovely hostess Kristin:

The Chard got sauteed in a hot skillet with a clove of minced garlic until it wilted (like 5 minutes) and everything got warmed through and then, Tah-daa! On to the plate so we could dig in - as seen at the top of the post. Yum!

No comments: