Monday, September 22, 2008

Carbonara, only lighter....

We had friends over last night for dinner, something I love to do on a Sunday to kind of stretch the weekend out a little longer.. (besides, I doubt we will get much entertaining time at our place with the elevator out.. "Sure, come on over for drinks, don't mind the 6 flights of steep, dimly lit stairs...")
I finally had an excuse to make the roasted brussel sprouts I featured in a Stolen Moments post Sept 15th, but to satisfy The H (who doesn't dig them) I roasted a mix of veggies, including brussel sprouts, carrots, squash, califlower, and whole tomatoes, and just let everyone pick whatever they wanted out of the mix..

I wanted to make pasta Carbonara, because I craved some bacony goodness, but let's face it - traditionally made Carbonara is a calorie and fat bomb!! (Look at queen Paula Deen's rendition as an example... YIKES!!!

So I decided to take some of the traditional ingredients and see if I could just get the flavors associated with the dish, but in a less heavy version..

I poached a few chicken breasts in white wine to up the protein as well. Then I chopped that into large chunks and added it, along with crumbled turkey bacon, a splash of olive oil, some black pepper, and around a cup of shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano to some cooked and drained Spagetti and let everything heat through so the cheese got all nice and melty.
We had the pasta and the roasted veggies, plus some crusty bread with the ever-delish Garlic Basil Blast spread- warm and gooey from the oven..
Here is a shot of my lunch today (oh leftovers, how I love thee!)

I really liked the way everything turned out.. I could eat roasted veggies every night of the week, I think - the are just so yummy! The pasta was great - next time I make it, I think I would add a bit of garlic paste to the pot with the cheese, etc, and let that mingle in there too, but everyone seemed to enjoy it. We watched the Green Bay/Dallas game, had some drinks and just relaxed... Perfect Sunday night after a hearty Sunday dinner...

:::sigh::: I miss the weekend already....

No comments: