Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A more mature mac n' cheese...


So I was trying to think of something really special to make for the H tonight, since he has been great while I have been fighting this seriously funky cold... It looks like we have a winner in a Rachel Ray-by-way-of Liz idea for some refined mac and cheese... Of course I will tweek it around myself, just as Liz did to Rachel's original recipe (it doesn't take more than a quick glance at my explination of my meals to see that Keri does NOT follow recipes.. my brain just does not compute information in that order)
I will probably use some chicken sausage I have in the freezer for tonight, actually, and just make a sauce similar to Liz's (yum - florentin-y, one of my favorite adjectives! HA!) to use with pasta.. (Hey, I boarded a train to snot town with a one way ticket on Sunday morning... I have been hitchhiking back in Zicam's beatup Yugo for most of the week... I am *almost* back... Homemade meatballs will wait for another day...)


Follow up to OP - I made my own version (See crappy pic above) and it was a huge hit! The H isn't a fan of the fennel ("No seeds in mine") so using the pre-fab sausage in place of the meatballs was a no brainer.. I thinnly sliced and browned the chicken sausage to give it a satisfying "snap"..
I followed RR's sauce directions pretty much, (except you KNOW I'm not going to measure all that... I just eyeball it...) which say this:
"...in a medium sauce pot over medium heat, melt butter, whisk in flour, cook 1 minute then whisk in stock and milk, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and thicken 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 cup grated Parmigiano and reduce heat on lowest setting. "
I also added some broccoli florets to the pasta the last couple of minutes of cooking, and tossed in a handful of ripped up fresh spinach with the sausage when it was off the heat, covering to let wilt... (I have to sneak veggies in every place I can for the H, who is 37 going on 4)
The H loved this... it will be made again and again, in many incarnations, I am sure.. delish....

No comments: